Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A Change of Pace


Ok, some of you may have already read on my Facebook page what my next adventure is. While I was in the Thinker's pose trying to muddle my way through Jemez, I just got to thinking, ironically enough. My mind really hasn't been into racing this year, like, at all really. My performance has been what I consider to be abysmal and I don't like it. I needed something to excite me again, something different. So I decided to do something that I never thought that I would do. I'm gonna run fast. I've decided to try and qualify for Boston. Being 39, I will have to run a 3:15 marathon and for me that's WAY fast!! My best time in a marathon, thus far, is 4:09 with no speed training. So maybe with the right training I can succeed. I've set my sights on the Duke City Marathon in Albuquerque to be my qualifying race. It's flat and fast, so I may have a good chance of getting it done. I've got til October to get ready. I've even been talking to a running coach since I've no idea what to do for speed training. I hear people talk about doing 4x800's and crap like that and have NO clue what they are talking about. My running, up til now, has been putting on a pair of shorts and shoes and then putting one foot in front of the other til I get to the finish line. ha This should be interesting!!

3 comments:

Paul Mastin said...

I'm with you, Mark! I fell 15 min short of qualifying at White Rock last year. I signed up this morning for WR and declared my finish time: 3:20! I'm a little older than you so can run 5 min slower. Good luck! See you in Boston 2012.

chaco sandals said...

I love you blog,I have fun reading it and did not get bored. Nice one! :)

Alecia said...

Good luck qualifying! I'm 28. I looked at all the qualifying times and have decided that it will be at least 10 years until I can even attempt it! lol!